... but I tried to be there when it got to school. I was pretty nervous about this whole bus thing. Tyler could hardly contain his excitement when it showed up to take him to school today. But I calmly walked away and went home to wait until I thought it'd be at school. My plan was to watch from afar and make sure he ended up in the right place. But unfortunately, the bus beat me to school by a couple minutes so he was already on the playground. With about 500 other kids. Ugh. And did I dress him in neon orange so he'd be easy to spot? Of course I didn't. So I could not find him. But didn't he look so handsome?
So I kept getting closer and closer and walking around the playground trying to find him and finally! There he was! He wasn't playing like I thought he was but instead, my good little boy was trying to find his teacher like I told him to. He looked so lost that I couldn't resist letting him know I was there (which I hadn't planned on doing! I was just going to watch and make sure he was Ok and NOT interfere). But I couldn't help myself. A look of relief washed over his face as he said "I can't find my teacher, Mom". I sent him over to play as it wasn't quite time to line up anyway and asked the nearest authoritative looking figure to tell me where the first graders lined up. Thank goddess I asked because the 1st graders line up on a whole other side of the building than I thought! We'd had no clue!

So I went to work, mission accomplished, swearing to myself that tomorrow I will just watch and NOT interfere. Now that he knows where to go, hopefully that won't be a problem.
***
After work came a whole other worry... would he get on the right bus? Would he get off at the right place? Gavin and I waited an eternity for the bus to show up... at least 15 minutes... but finally it came! I have never been happier to see a school bus in my life! Even better was my little boy sticking his head out the window with a big grin on his face. He made it! Hooray!
Maybe the bus won't be so bad after all...
Overall he had a great day at school. He ate *almost* all his lunch and didn't eat his cookie first. :) He loved playing outside for recess and even got two "you rock" tickets for being a good listener and putting his lunch bag in the right spot. Hopefully the rest of his year will go as well...
4 comments:
watching him get on that bus with a backpack almost as big as him would have nearly crushed me.
well done, sister. well done.
oh, you gave me tears amy reading that...it's the bittersweetness of parenting, huh? XO
Bittersweet milestones, indeed. You handled it like a champ!
Ooh... I would have followed the bus, like a little lost puppy dog. It is so hard to let them do things independently.
Post a Comment