Friday, August 8, 2008

Of Tornadoes and Spankings

The other day, I spent the evening in the salon getting some very split ends trimmed on my hair and enjoying a pedicure on the toes I can not reach.

While I was gone, the weather turned stormy and a downpour came down upon our neck of the woods. I was about 10 miles north of home when it happened and while I was gone, a tornado siren went off. Shawn, being the cautious daddy that he is, promptly took our boys down to our unfinished basement playroom to spend the evening playing Candyland and Memory while scarfing down the food I'd left him before I headed to the salon.

The boys have never experienced a tornado first hand, but we've had some close calls and they've heard about tornadoes of my youth ~ growing up in Indiana, they were relatively frequent. Usually, the mountains seem to block such activity but the siren went off nonetheless.

Gavin was being quieter than his usual self and close to tears. Tyler asked him what was wrong and he replied "I'm worried about Mom". (awww!)
Tyler's reply: "even though she gives really hard spankings?"
Gavin: "yes, I still love her. I will always love her and she will always love me." (aww again!)

*******

I almost ended the post there. And if you want to stop reading, by all means, do. The rest of this post will likely be more of my parenting opinions than you'd care to read.

I found this conversation very telling of my relationship with both of my boys. I certainly do not love or favor one son more than another. Both of my boys are very special individuals and very different people. They both have so many things to offer the world and I love their uniqueness.

I get Tyler. I get him because he's like a mini~me. He has inherited my goofy sense of humor, my slight OCD and some parts of my personality that I'd have chosen otherwise if given the choice. He's brutally honest, when he's not lying to get himself out of trouble. He also remembers the bad times more than the good times and dwells on those ~ hence the spanking comment. Because he's so much like me, I feel like we clash often as I try to curb the things that I think will hurt him later in life, as they've hurt me. I never did learn by being taught ~ I had to learn by experience ~ so I realize this is a complete waste of my time but I can't help myself somehow. Tyler idolizes Shawn and when given the choice of which parent to spend time with, run errands with, etc, will choose Shawn.

Gavin, on the other hand, is more like Shawn. He's sweet and sensitive and cautious with new people. He loves me unconditionally and differently than Tyler does. No matter how many times I screw up as a parent, he doesn't hold a grudge like Tyler does. Gavin has always been a Mama's boy and when given the choice of parents, has chosen me. He's a mystery to me in many ways but I think our personalities coincide more because he's so much like his dad... and opposites attract just like Shawn and I. I don't ask as much of Gavin as I did with Tyler at this age ~ partly because I want him to stay my baby forever, I s'pose.

Another thing that struck me about their conversation was the spanking comment. I haven't given either of them a spanking in years. Not since they were able to comprehend other forms of punishment. And even when I did spank, it was rare. I threatened a lot, but I found after a couple swats on the butt, just knowing what the consequence would be was often enough to curb behavior I didn't find acceptable. So I found it very interesting that Tyler mentioned that as a way to soothe Gavin (?) or perhaps to justify why it'd be Ok if a tornado did take me away?

The next day I asked Tyler when the last time I spanked him was. He couldn't remember. I asked him why he'd mentioned it the night before in the basement with Shawn and Gavin and he just grinned, unsure.

I am looking back now, and questioning. I was often torn about spanking... whether hitting them would teach them that hitting was Ok. Whether it was fine because I was spanked as a child and I turned out (mostly) Ok. Whether I'd do it inappropriately ~ when I was angry rather than trying to teach a lesson. In the end, Shawn and I decided that it was an acceptable form of punishment when they were so young that other things didn't work. We did time~outs for less serious crimes but for larger offenses, we did swat them on the butt. We wanted to establish authority when they were little so that when we asked something of them, they would not hesitate in obeying.

Now I'm wondering if any chasms in my relationship with Tyler developed because I used to use this form of punishment. Or if we're really just too much alike and are destined to clash just like my mother and I did... until I was old enough to really appreciate her.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's like you're describing my relationship with Grace vs. my relationship with Ellie.

I learned to night that threatening to take away whichever Harry Potter book they're working on is a VERY effective form of punishment.

Anonymous said...

Although different types of discipline works for different types of kids. Just the THREAT of a spanking worked for Mr. T, for Mr. G I better be ready to put my money where my mouth is.

Jennifer said...

I really don't think a few swats on the but here and there have that much of an impact, in the way you're thinking on this one. I truly don't. And I say that as a household that doesn't spank as punishment, but has done the occassionaly swat ourselves. But the "This child is so like ME and that affects our relationship" thing? That is the key, I think.

I have such different relationships with each of my kids and my relationship with my oldest is probably my most complicated -- or, I can see it will be, as he gets older. Why? Because he is most like me. It's very interesting, isn't it...

painted maypole said...

very interesting and honest post. we chose not to spank, for a lot of the reasons you mentioned, but i do think that in some cases some parents can do it the right way (and NEVER out of anger, like I see most parents use it) it sounds like you did it all "right" it's hard to know for sure if any of the ways we handle our kids is the right way, but good parents like you are always willing to adjust and change their parenting according to their kids

thirtysomething said...

MY God. It was if I was reading about you describing the relationship I have with Jacob vs. Max. Jacob and I are so alike, it frightens me b/c I know what he is facing. Max is a sensitive, loving heart and definitely a Momma's boy (yay!)
As for the spankings, I commend you. As a parent that advocates for spanking, and not afraid to say and do it, I think that the lack of concrete discipline is the main reason that SO many children nowdays are acting the way they are. Parents are afraid to discipline by way of spanking, for fear their children will dislike them, or they will have Children's Services descend upon their household. Granted, there have been cases of abuse that have centered around corporal punishment, but a spanking, when done from love and the desire to teach, is far from punishment.
I spank my children, even now for offenses such as disrespect, lying, and dangerous behavior. I use other behavioral approaches for less serious situations. I am constantly revamping discipline strategies as they grow and change, and I think that is just part of parenting and really knowing your children, which you obviously do. Establishing authority with your children is an important thing and very advantageous to the parenting process as they grow older. Less disrespect, less conflict - they know who is boss and how far they can push it.
It sounds like you are raising wonderful people - today's little boys, tomorrow's well-rounded, responsible Men.

(kinda hard to imagine our little guys as MEN, huh?)

thailandchani said...

I don't think it's particularly harmful as long as it's done for the right reasons. In other words, there's a big difference between a parent spanking to release their own frustration as opposed to doing it because she wants to get the kid's attention.

At any rate, I'm sure it didn't scar him for life. Look at how many of us were subjected to it as children. The point I made above is really critical in my opinion though.

~*

Robin said...

I don't even know what we are going to do when it comes to disciplining Micah (still have some time to figure it out, thank goodness!) but I think you are an awesome mom. It is clear from reading your blog how much you love your boys and I also think it takes a really strong person to look at your actions in hindsight and question them. That said, I don't think you scarred them by using spanking as a punishment.

Also - I hope you enjoyed your well-deserved spa day!!!