Inspired by Jen, another real American, and a woman I admire more than I can express.
Yesterday I voted, courtesy of Colorado's early voting that started this week. It was a perfect experience ~ no long lines, friendly election judges, quick and painless.
I voted for Barack Obama. I am proud of my vote.
I voted for Obama because I believe the war should never have started and I think he will find a safe, effective way to end it. I love and support my military brothers and sisters.
I voted for Obama because I believe that all Americans deserve health care and I think he will give it to all. I hear stories on a weekly basis from friends, family and clients about their health care woes. It is unacceptable to me that there is one uninsured person in this country that I love.
I voted for Obama because I believe that every American deserves a home that is safe and warm. I think that he understands the importance of the "lower class" and will work to make their lives better. I believe that will make ALL of our lives better because we are only as strong as our weakest citizen.
I voted for Obama because I love our earth. I think by protecting our environment and our planet we can ensure that our species will not go extinct, while releasing us from our dependence on foreign oil and putting our people to work.
I voted for Obama because I believe our government should protect our rights, not take them away.
I voted for Obama because I believe we are better than this... the bickering and name calling that I've witnessed lately... the scary economy... the leader that no one in the world can respect... I believe we can be the America that we want to be, that we deserve to be.
I voted for Obama because I believe we are all important. Each one of us. We are all equal and we all deserve to live the American dream. And I believe right now we all aren't living that dream and that needs to change.
I voted for Obama because I am a real American. I love this country. I love my husband, my children, my parents. I love my friends and neighbors. I love my fellow Americans.
Why are you a real American?
13 comments:
i love it. you real american, you.
Ditto to Jen.
This was beautiful Amy.
Very well said, and from the heart. I agree with you 100 percent. I will be up at the crack of dawn on Election Day, believe me. I will vote for Obama, too, so that I can once again be proud of being an American.
I'm not American -- but if I were, I think I would vote for him too.
Clapping and whistling! Can you hear me?
Me too. What you said. All the way. Rock on sister.
I am an American b/c I can walk to my courthouse on a Tuesday afternoon without special permission and buy a business license and start a business.
I am an American b/c I can believe in whatever religion I choose without persecution or fear of death.
I am an American b/c I can pray in public if I want, or conversely, if I don't want to I am not mandated to.
I am an American b/c I can walk around freely dressed as I please, say what I want to say, read what I choose to read, write what I feel, am entitled to a trial and legal assistance, and am free to raise my children in whatever way I choose.
My home is protected space, into which no govermental official may barge without special written, probable cause and permission.
Because i am an American, I am free. Basically I am an American because I can choose. Period.
Hey, all that aside - if McCain/Palin wins, I am outta here! Canada here I come!!
you rock
what is that you hear? it's me, applauding you.
Great post!! I also voted early for Obama, for many of your reasons. Thanks Amy!
"I believe we are better than this"
AMEN!! We are better than this. We are and we will be. I am actually beginning to (almost) hope this could happen...??!
LOVE this fantastic post, you American, you. You and Jen inspired me to write my own. *smooch*
Amen.
I was so pissed I started a web project: http://iamarealamerican.com so that people could put a voice to their statement that they too are Americans, regardless of if we fit in their cookie cutter vision of the country.
Check it out, and please contribute if you can.
Thanks,
Nathan
Great post! I'm voting for him on the 4th--there's something quite thrilling about standing in line with my fellow citizens--finding out which number I am, greeting my neighbor who always works the polls, nodding familiarly to those I recognize, casting my ballot with (and against!) the people I share a community & country with!
yes yes yes yes yes
(i posted one, too)
Post a Comment