Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A trip around my garden

It's an exciting time to be in Denver! With the DNC going on and all the drama that's been ramping up all summer, it's fun to finally see some action. Of course, I'm staying far, far away from downtown this week... But Shawn's there, in the thick of things. Hopefully he'll be telling you all about it on his blog later this week.

But have you been watching? Shawn and I watched about 3 hours worth of speeches last night and let me tell you, it left me feeling pumped up!! I'm so excited about the election and I love seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. We're watching C~Span so we can see the actual speeches, rather than bits and pieces in the middle of pundits telling us what to think about the speeches.

I especially loved Michelle Obama's speech last night... I find her almost as inspirational as her husband and I just think they are the sweetest family. It makes me frustrated to see them being torn apart by the media and the McCain campaign, but I know that's the nature of the beast... Still, it sucks. But I think they're strong and that they'll be Ok on the other side, regardless of the outcome of the election. I really enjoyed learning more about her and I think she'll be a lovely first lady!

Anyway, stepping off my soap box and into my garden...

I'm not getting outside in the back yard a lot lately because the boys have been wanting to ride scooters and bikes in the front and hang out with the plethora of neighbor kids that have been out playing lately. (I love our neighborhood!) We were lucky enough to buy a home on a street with some really awesome people... and the boys love playing with their kids, so that's an added bonus.

But it's left my garden a bit neglected. And bending down to pull weeds right now is out of the question. I only bend down if it's absolutely necessary ~ like when I drop food on the floor at work... because let's not give any rodents an excuse to make a home there!

I looked out the back window this morning, though, and saw this and I just had to share!

And this one is in a planter... it's the only bloom right now.

These live by the sunflowers ~ I have no clue what they are (I'm bad about marking what I plant and then I forget!) but they almost look like lil sunflower babies :)

These were coming fast and furious after the first one I showed you... but they're starting to slow down now. Thought I'd grab a picture before they stop blooming altogether. They're still my favorites!


We haven't had the volume of tomatoes that we had last year... and I noticed this morning that someone's been eating them!

I planted six strawberry plants and we have not gotten a single strawberry out of them. As far as I know, no bunnies are living in our back yard but we do have a pigeon infestation going on all around us, so I think they may be the ones stealing my strawberries! I have seen tons of green ones but they disappear before they are red and ready to pick! I'm pretty bummed about that because I was really looking forward to fresh strawberries! Anyone have any tips on how to keep birds (or whatever's eating them) from the plants?

Happy Tuesday!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need nets to keep the creatures away from your plants. You need to put them on during that period between when the flowers appear (so the bees can pollinate them and when the fruit starts to form. Believe me, I have lots of experience protecting my blueberry bushes from birds and other creatures.

painted maypole said...

growth all around, eh?

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

You're 'eaten' tomatoes look like ours! I blame the deer and the rabbits.

I thought of you last night watching the DNC, wondering if YOU were there!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, nets for ya! That purple flower looks like a cosmos to me (I love them--they reseed well). Pretty garden! You must have a green thumb!

~Ria~ said...

We used to use large toy snakes to keep the birds out of our raspberries.

Jennifer said...

Oh, yes, I've been watching! "Obsessed" some would say...? I call it "involved". *grin* So cool that you're "right there". I'll pop over to your husband's blog to see what he has to say.

Love the flowers and the tomato shot. Good luck with the berries! Mmmm.

Natalia said...

I agree with you about the DNC...what an exciting time!

As far as plating goes, congrats on the little beauties. I have to tell you, Jon planted a bunch of "flower" seeds. He was so excited when they started to sprout and so was I. They grew taller and taller but nothing ever blommed, we were so confused and now that they are giant we are realizing the seeds were duds and we have been growing giant weeds all summer!