Saturday, August 2, 2008

Out of the Fog

Contrary to the face most of the world around me sees, I have not been myself lately. I've been upset about stupid things more often than usual. I've cried more days than I haven't (and I'm really not a crier). I've been snappish with the boys and Shawn. I've been unmotivated at work. I've been unmotivated at home. I've been tired and grouchy and just not great to be around lately.

I think part of it is the weather... We've had a heat wave going on here and have been mostly stuck indoors as the temperatures soar to 100 degrees or damn close every day for the past 20 days. The extra weight I'm carrying around is like insulation and the heat combined with low blood pressure leaves me feeling light headed and weak.

Part of it is the strain on my body of the two little bundles of joy that are growing in there. Heat and body aches make it difficult to sleep at night, which makes for a cranky me. And the hormones all out of whack are responsible for much of the crying and drama.

Shawn's stressed at work and not happy with his job... which is something I can not fix and his options are few until he completes his degree, without throwing away much of what he's worked hard to accomplish. While he's been an immense support for me ~ stepping in and playing with the boys when I need a nap... running around with them even at the end of a long day of work... practicing baseball and going on bike rides... I'm not able to reciprocate the way I'd like to, to be a good support for him.

This last trimester is just tough. My body can't keep up with what my mind would like to accomplish. I am running out of clothes that fit, due to the sheer girth of my belly. I feel fat and uncomfortable. I am impatient with myself.

I am impatient with the boys and I worry that it's taking a toll on them. Our summer is almost over and we've had a lot of fun together but I worry that there have been more bad times than good. More times when I needed a rest more than I wanted to play cards or read books with them. More times when I asked them to do more chores than 5 and almost 7 year olds should be doing because I couldn't muster the energy to do what needed to be done. They've witnesses more arguments between Shawn and I than I'd like them to witness. And they've done more comforting of me than I've done of them.

All three of my guys have rallied around me, trying to help hold me together and find pieces of the mom/wife they know and love. I'm so, so lucky to have them and yearn for the day when they feel lucky to have me again, too.

Most of this pregnancy has been relatively easy on me, on us. Our family has benefitted from new friends and new experiences. We've gotten to be a part of something so special and I don't have any regrets. Watching the Makua and Keiki become a family is and has been rewarding on so many levels for so many reasons. I'm proud to be a part of it and excited to watch their journey together and see these lil boys grow up, from a distance.

This surrogacy path is a roller coaster of emotions and highs and lows. Just like life is meant to be, I s'pose. As we all prepare for it to end in just 9 weeks, I find myself looking forward to finding the old me again. To being able to be the mom and wife my family has been missing. To hand back this enormous responsibility that's been entrusted with me.

And oh, what I'd give for a day where the thermostat didn't register a temperature over 80 something.

11 comments:

thailandchani said...

Completely with you on the heat. I can't even begin to imagine being pregnant and having to put up with it. It affects me the same way though... low energy, generally cranky and the constant of "being hot" begins wearing on my last nerve.

Not sure this will work for you but one of the things I've been doing is to take a cold pack from the freezer, wrap it in a hand towel and put it on the back of my neck. It seems to fool my body into thinking it's cooler.

I strongly dislike summer.. in any event.

~*

Amanda said...

I am quite tall, but I could send you some of my maternity clothes...let me know, friend.

xo

Anonymous said...

Oh...hang in there! I really hope there are cooler days in your future.

And I can't believe the babies arrive in just nine weeks! (to me, of course, that seems so soon...but to you it likely seems too long to wait :)

Forsythia said...

You're almost there. You will be cool and buoyant again, just wait and see.

Girlplustwo said...

oh honey. you are almost there...of course it would get exhausting. it's wonderful to know you've got support even when it's rough, we don't have to be all shiny in order to be held.

Anonymous said...

This is the hard part, I know, having had two September babies and having felt the despair of those Augusts. Hang in there -- you're in the home stretch!!!

thirtysomething said...

It is the heat. And the hormones - always makes for a testy combo- those two. Even when NOT pregnant, I am a person that much prefers fall weather, even do not mind the winter. The heat is something I avoid, and you, little Mama...with those little people in your belly...hang in there!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

I think general discontent is going around. And the weather certainly doesn't help. Oh and that's right you're CARRYING TWINS - OY. That CERTAINLY can't be easy.

Would apple crisp help? :)

Dean & Tara said...

My dear, sweet friend... You won't believe me for a second, but I was just yesterday commenting to another young mother over a BBQ how amazing I think YOU are and how after so many years of youthful friendship and even after so many years apart as adults how in awe of you I am now. You inspire me and lift me up - I can only imagine all that you do not even realise you do for those who are lucky enough to be physically in your life. Keep your chin up, mate. You are so loved in this world.

Robin said...

I totally feel for you being pregnant in this heat. With twins, no less. You are rockstar and the family you are helping create will last forever, where the heat hopefully will not. Drink some frozen lemonade and have your hubby rub your feet - you will feel better :)
Thinking cool and happy thoughts for you...
ps-I would be happy to share my maternity clothes with you! If you are interested email me (robintobin@gmail.com)

Scylla said...

Amy I feel for you, I was nine months pregnant during a record breaking heatwave and all I have to say is this;
You are doing an amazing job if all your friends, family, and loved ones are still alive, and not beheaded.

Because really, there is nothing more miserable than a severely overheated hugely pregnant woman.

Your family will help you get through this, and you will return to your energetic self soon enough.

Partnership isn't about 2 people carrying 50% of the load 100% of the time, it's about 2 people alternating between 0% and 100% of the load as their lives change.

So your load is a little lighter right now, it's all good. The time will come when Shawn and the boys need you to pick up their share, and you will happily do so.

Sending you love!!